Hokkaido Milk Bread (Tangzhong method) version 2.0

I've talked about tangzhong before. This is a sequel to that post, as my quest for perfect shokupan continues. This time I tried this recipe, slightly adapted (I didn't have milk, so I used water and added the amount of milk powder. I didn't want to use that much sugar, so halved the amount). It's still too heavy. The problem might have been the flour since the start of my experiment: it has been very very strong. I've baked a couple of my old, very tested recipes using that flour, and I've had to scale down the amount of flour up to -25%! Next time I'll might try some oriental food shop to find a weaker flour and mix it with our strong flour.  Luckily this flour is soon finished (it's Rainbow brand). I feel like my effort is wasted baking with it. I'll probably have to start my experiment all over again, once I change to my "routine" flour.




This time I tried the temperature of the cooked tangzhong: it was exactly 65 C as it should! Wow! So if you are not sure about the gelatinized consistency, check the temperature, but otherwise I wouldn't do it.
 
After making this bread, I counted the liquid:flour -ratios of all three bread recipes I've posted here. This recipe had liquid:flour -ratio of 0.8. The previous ones had 0.75 (epic failure bread) and 0.89 for quite a good bread. So that would mean this bread was still too dry: more liquid or less flour is needed next time. (I would use 0.894 x 235 g = 210 g total liquid and divide that to tangzhong and dough, if I'll have to use Rainbow flour again). But: although on the heavier side, it was actually quite good the next day as it started resembling shokupan: it was still very bouncy and soft!!!  
 
(Update 29.6.2015: You might want to check this too: it's the one I'm most pleased with among the versions I've tried with tangzhong, at least temporarily.



Follow Kitchenfoxtales via Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook to not miss a post!

Comments

Popular Posts