Berry Charlotte with the Softest and Fluffiest Cake Layer





Have you ever eaten a German Sahnetorte? They have the dreamiest soft and fluffy biscuit cake type of bottom, usually on top of a crunchy cookie type of crust. I think the purpose of the fluffy sponge is to barrier the cream filling from the crunchy cookie crust so that the underneath layer stays crunchy. (But I have no clue if it is so). I'm so happy I managed to make that soft and fluffy part! I think the key to success here is to make an all eggwhite sponge cake and to stir the oil straight to flour with the milk to prevent any gluten binding. So this time I made only the fluffy part, but the cake is still easily cut to nice pieces and holds its shape well. (The next step would be to find a perfect crunchy layer recipe. Tip me in the comments section if you know the perfect recipe, please :)

(I'm not content with the filling I made for this cake, so I have to tweak the recipe a bit yet before posting the full recipe. The filling ended up being too thick already after mixing everything together so it didn't spread as nicely to the pan as I would have wanted it to. I added some milk to the last part I poured on the cake, so at least the surface was even. The sides are not so important to be even for this cake, as one covers them with roll waffles anyway. You can use instead e.g. the white layer filling from this cake in double batch or any cheesecake mass you like.)

I don't know what I do wrong, because my no-bake cheese cake mass always ends up being too thick and non-pourable. I just realized it a couple of months ago. Before that I was always wondering why I can't get even edges and blamed my cake pans for that. I think I have to add the ratio of liquids still, if I want to obtain a pourable mass. On the other hand if the mass is thick on its own you don't need a lot of gelatin and that's definitely a plus for me as I hate those "gummy" cheese cakes that bounce and jiggle. I'm usually able to go with less gelatin than a recipe states (I have my "method" of calculating the need for gelatin, where I calculate the amount of liquids and don't count whipped cream or cream cheese in their total weight/volume, as they don't need a lot of gelatin to stay in form.)











Berry Charlotte

Makes one 20 cm cake.

Ingredients:
    Cake layer:
  • 15 g wheat flour
  • 5 g potato starch
  • a dash of vanilla extract
  • 15 g milk
  • 10 g vegetable oil
  • 2 eggwhites
  • 20 g sugar
  • 1 tsp potato starch
  • Filling:
  • desired cheesecake mass (about 900-1000 ml in total volume), e.g. the white layer from this recipe (make a double batch)
  • To decorate:
  • 250 g waffle rolls (I used Caprice brand's waffles)
  • 50 g (raspberry crunch) white chocolate
  • 200 g strawberries
Instructions:
  1. Line the bottom of a 22 cm round cake pan with a baking paper.
  2. Combine wheat flour with 5 g potato starch. Stir milk, vanilla extract and oil together.
  3. Whisk the eggwhites with the sugar and 1 even tsp potato starch into stiff peak stage meringue.
  4. Once the meringue is ready, continue with the batter: sift the flour to the liquids and quickly stir even.
  5. Add 1/3 of the meringue to the batter and stir it even. Add another third of the meringue and now fold it into the batter (don't overdo it: with as few folds as you you can). Fold the rest of meringue in.
  6. Pour the batter into the cake tin.
  7. Bake in 170 C for 12-15 minutes.
  8. Remove the baking paper and use a smaller cake tin to cut the edges of the baked cake.
  9. Once the cake has cooled, pour your chosen no-bake cheesecake mass on the cake and place in fridge and leave to set.
  10. Remove the cake ring. Decorate the top with strawberries.
  11. Break the roll waffles into desired length(s). With the help of melted white chocolate, glue the waffles onto the edges of the cake. Finish with a ribbon.
Adapted from Cooking tree.
*Nutritional information is based on average values and is a rough estimate.

photo descr here

Perinteisesti charlotta on kääretorttuviipaleilla vuorattu hyydytettävä kakku. Nyt kääretorttuviipaleiden sijaan käytin rullavohveleita. Tästä tulee halkaisijaltaan 20 cm kakku.

Ainekset:
    Pohja:
  • 15 g vehnäjauhoa
  • 5 g perunajauhoa
  • tippa vaniljauutetta
  • 15 g maitoa
  • 10 g rypsiöljyä
  • 2 valkuaista
  • 20 g sokeria
  • 1 tl perunajauhoa
  • Täyte:
  • valitsemasi juustokakkumassa (noin 9-10 dl), esim. valkoinen kerros tästä reseptistä (tee se kaksinkertaisena)
  • Koristeluun:
  • 250 g rullavohveleita (käytin Caprice-merkkisiä, joita saa ainakin Citymarketista)
  • 50 g (vadelmamuru-)valkosuklaata
  • 200 g mansikoita

Valmistusohjeet:
  1. Vuoraa 22 cm pyöreän kakkuvuoan pohja leivinpaperilla.
  2. Sekoita vehnäjauhot ja 5 g perunajauhoa keskenään. Sekoita eri astiassa maito, öljy ja vaniljauute.
  3. Vatkaa valkuaiset, sokeri ja 1 tl perunajauhoa kovaksi marengiksi (teräviksi huipuiksi).
  4. Kun marenki on valmis, yhdistä jauhot nesteisiin ja sekoita nopeasti tasaiseksi.
  5. Lisää kolmannes marengista ja sekoita tasaiseksi. Lisää sitten toinen kolmannes ja kääntele se taikinaan varovasti ja lopuksi loput marengista.
  6. Kaada taikina kakkuvuokaan ja paista 170 asteessa noin 12-15 minuuttia.
  7. Poista leivinpaperi ja käytä noin 20 cm kakkuvuokaa apunasi, kun leikkaat kakkuölevystä reunat pois.
  8. Kun kakku on jäähtynyt, kaada päälle haluamasi hyydytettävä juustokakkumassa. Laita jääkaappiin hyytymään.
  9. Poista kakkuvuoka ja koristele esim. mansikoilla.
  10. Katko vohvelit haluamasi pituisiksi ja liimaa ne kakun reunoille sulatetun valkosuklaan avulla. Viimeistele kauniilla nauhalla.
Lähde: Cooking tree
*Energiasisältö perustuu keskimääräisiin arvoihin ja on karkea arvio.


Follow Kitchenfoxtales via Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook to not miss a post!

Comments

Popular Posts