Quince Marmalade Sweets - Kvittenimarmeladi




We are sending our Christmas greetings this time from the archipelago. It's so beautiful here with white snow and still open dark sea. I tried to write this day's post in advance as I knew the days near Christmas are very busy. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to finish the post in time, so I'm posting only the pictures I posted earlier only the pictures. I'll finalize the post later. You can find the recipe below.

Happy Christmas and happy candy making!!!

P.S. Greetings from our little Toddybear elf too!









I found quinces at a local supermarket before Christmas, so I had to buy one. I hadn't tasted them ever before and was very curious how they would taste. I had heard and read about quinces and how marvellous they taste is. I thought about tasting it raw but was told that they would taste bitter (because of the tannins in them). All the praise was given to the cooked product apparently. As I cooked them, they developed a very fragrant smell: like apples, pears and honey.

Quinces look like golden apples that haven't grown quite round.

I don't know if quince jelly and marmalade are the most iconic thing to do with quinces, but those I decided to make. I was curious how the natural pectin of quinces would work, as I had read you don't need to add pectin while making marmalade from quinces.

I had some sugar with added pectin, so I decided to use that for the start to use it up and maybe cut down some sugar.

photo descr



Ingredients:
  • 1 large quince
  • Granulated sugar or pectin enriched sugar (depending on the amount of juice the quinces will yield)
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Instructions:
  1. Rinse the quince and cut it in large pieces. Place the pieces in a large pot (with lid) and pour water over until they are covered. Bring to boil and simmer for 40 min.
  2. Strain the quince pieces in a fine sieve over a large bowl. Press a little on the pieces, but not too much: you want to just press the juice through the sieve, not the fruit flesh. Don't discard the fruit flesh: you can make those cubes of marmalade from it (see the recipe below).
  3. To make jelly/jam (if you only want to make marmalade, skip)
  4. Weigh the juice and weigh in the same amount of sugar (or if you are pectin, you can reduce the sugar amount according to the instructions of the packet: I used 3+1 jelly sugar, so I put sugar only one third of the juice amount. It was maybe slightly too less or I should have boiled the syrup longer).
  5. Boil juice, sugar (and pectin) and lemon juice for 45 mins if you using only regular sugar; if you are using pectin (or pectin enriched sugar) follow the packet instructions. If foam appears on top scoop it out with a straining ladle.
  6. Check if the jelly is set: put a plate to a freezer, while you are boiling the syrup. When you have boiled the syrup almost the given time, drop a bit of syrup on the cold plate. If the syrup sets, it's ready; otherwise continue boiling for 5 minutes and repeat the test.
  7. Pour the boiling syrup in sterilized jars. Screw the clean cap on very tight and turn it upside down. It will create a vacuum which will protect your jelly from mold. Leave to cool.
  8. To make marmalade sweets:
  9. Puree the quinces left in the strainer: I pushed them through the strainer (which was quite laborious), so the seeds, peels and all the hard parts are left in the strainer.
  10. Weigh the puree and measure in the 3/4 amount of sugar (I used pectin enriched sugar).
  11. Bring the puree and sugar to boil and cook on medium heat for about 45 min, stirring constantly (be careful with the hot paste: it tends to bubble like magma…)
  12. When the paste starts to stick together (it might change its colour to a darker, more orange shade), it's ready. Line a rectangular dish with baking paper and pour the paste in it. Even the surface (be careful: it's hot!)
  13. Let the paste set overnight. (Room temperature is fine; the drier the air the better.)
  14. Lift the paste from the dish with the help of the baking paper, sprinkle with lots of granulated sugar and cut into small cubes.
  15. Coat the cubes all over with granulated sugar and leave them to dry to for a day or two onto baking paper.
Adapted from The Flo Show
*Nutritional information is based on average values and is a rough estimate.



Follow Kitchenfoxtales via Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook to not miss a post!

Comments

Popular Posts